Friday, October 29, 2010

Spiritual Lessons from the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Night

So how bad was this night you may ask.

HORRIBLE!

I couldn't have been that bad, you say.

IT WAS!

First of all...I got off work two hours later than I was hoping. I was heading home for the weekend and was so excited to see my family.

When I left work I got stuck in traffic that was awful and ended up rear-ending a truck. It took us twenty minutes just to get to a place to look at it. Luckily it wasn't too bad (for him), My grill is pretty messed up and the hood is tweaked a little.

Then (I know you thought that was it but it gets better) I got home and threw everything in my bag when the power went out. No biggie right, since I was leaving, WRONG! I have a garage, which is awesome, except when the power goes out because that means I can't get to my car. Great.

I called the power company and they said the power wouldn't be on until 11 pm. There goes my night. Not to mention I was starving since I hadn't eaten anything all day.

Here is where the spiritual lesson comes in.

I started crying. Lame I know but ALL I wanted was to go home. I wanted to be with my family. A righteous desire, right. So I prayed. Of course, I thought, Heavenly Father wants me to spend time with my family. It is a good desirable thing. You know what happened?

Nothing.

Not even a flicker of light.

So I decided to turn on a movie on my portable dvd player that was charged, thankfully; opened a can of pineapple and chicken and ate a chunk of cheese; got ready for bed and climbed in; and most importantly accepted the fact that I was going to be staying home tonight.

Then, not even ten minutes later...the lights came on.

I could go.

Sometimes we have good desires, righteous desires, for things that Heavenly Father wants us to have but we must accept what he has given us.

We must open the can, turn on the movie, and hop into bed before the lights come on.

1 comment: