Monday, July 18, 2011

Adventures in Online Dating - The Wounded

So you know we all have baggage. But some people have baggage in the form of an EX-GIRLFRIEND.

I'm just going to paste part of his email (sorry for the length). It's just too good to pass up. Notice the LOOSERS. :)

I do need to bring up one topic. I'm gonna get serious and deep!!! ........LOL, I'm actually in a pretty good mood so I'll try to make this as serious as possible. ;-) You did mention "It's also important that he gets my families approval...that means all of them." Your comment suggests you meet loosers in the past and your family helped you out. I'm sorry you meet loosers.... (dramatic background music) ...though there kind of sort of is the factor that I'm searching for someone independent minded. I know you said "They can see what I can't see." but, if you can't trust your own judgment, could I trust you raising my kids? -hence the independent minded requirement... If you feel that's an irrational statement, let me share a quick thought (keeping in mind, I go through those with most people under the age of 300, so don't feel lectured, LOL, if you do, I'll be sure to make up for it.) Part of the reason why God made something like... ummmmm... incest, to have physical deformities as its consequence... was to encourage families to leave the nest and have new members from other families join the group so they can learn to see things outside their normal way of viewing things. Ever meet a family that disagreed with how and who you are?? My bff family isn't Mormon, but I am -hence, disapproves of me. And in my mind it's them who needs to be open minded and accepting -or else they'll loose out on something good. But in their mind, I'm a dirty rotten egg. (A member of a cult as they'd put it.) So who's the closed minded, judgmental one? Them? Or me? And it's hardly always about religious belief. Most conflict happens because of people's difference in perspectives in general. I see men and women everyday clash with in-laws. As a matter of fact our recent priesthood session talked about how one of the current most common complain about marriage issues is in-law interference. The deal with this..... deal...... (that sounded funny in my head), is all people like to think their family is close to perfect (or at least, they love them just they way they ARE) .............and if someone who's so different than them makes them uncomfortable or paranoid (apparently I was constantly cheating on my ex would be a good example of paranoia, and me talking to another female is proof, (cough, cough))............... then what do you suppose happens next? .... I don't suppose I want to go through that again. And on another note, I'm a difficult person to understand and often give out wrong impressions / wrong signals on pretty much a 24/7 basis, so my response is I'm looking for an independent women. If you feel you require their approval just because you meet loosers before and they helped you out, then it's probably best you find a different man to talk to. I heard someone once say "I'm trying to marry my girl, not her mom." Let me know if you're still interested to get to know each other.


Here is my response:

Umm.... Can I have my head back now?

Listen. You have made a lot of ASSumptions and generalizations in this email.
FYI- I never bring a boy home that I haven't already approved of. I have only taken one guy home and they loved him. No losers but my family is more important to me than anything. My mom died when I was 17 and my father is a loser. My brother, stepdad, aunts, and uncles have stepped in when they didn't have to.
I don't think this is going to work. Not because we have different beliefs about how a marriage should be run, because I think that there are a lot of things that are to be between a man and his wife ONCE they reach that point. I don't think you have moved on from your ex. I don't want to be competing with your ex's mistakes.
Also...it is EASY to make generalizations about people (like missionaries) but it is HARD to actually get to know someone.
I wish you luck in your searching.

I may have implied he was an a$$...Haha!

4 comments:

  1. Hey, this is Rachel from Accounting classes at BYU-I (woot, woot!)
    Can I just say WOW to that dude's e-mail and that your response was totally awesome......
    cool, love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brynn for the link!! I really appreciate it! I added you to my links, I hope you don't mind! I have loved reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brynn!!! I totally would have said the same thing, you put it well! What a goob:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!

    I think I could understand his points - but you're right that he made way too many assumptions about something so small that you said. He really went way out there in a long drawn out explanation that made him seem like a complete jerk. Phew. I think you did well in replying the way you did.

    ReplyDelete